top of page

Applying for Canadian Citizenship

There are more than 60+ immigration ways to migrate to Canada - You may qualify in any one of these!

Applying for citizenship could be a long process. Our immigration executives in Ontario can help you with the whole process to make it smooth and stress-free. To apply for citizenship, you must complete an application and meet certain eligibility criteria:

Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French)

Be a Permanent Resident (PR)

Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1,095 days out of the 5 years before you apply

Have filed your taxes for at least 3 years during the last 5 years and any income tax you may owe must be paid

IRCC will return your application as incomplete if you do not send acceptable proof that you have adequate knowledge of English or French. Learn more about the language requirements for citizenship on the IRCC website.


If you are or have been a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, you may be eligible for a fast-track application process.

You can use the Residence Calculator to find out if you have been in Canada long enough as a PR to apply for citizenship. If you have not been in Canada long enough, it will tell you when you will be eligible to apply.


The applicant must be a Canadian citizen or be applying to become a Canadian citizen. Minors do not need to meet the residency requirement.


If one of your parents was a Canadian citizen when you were born, depending on when you were born, you may already be a citizen. If that is true, to be recognized as a Canadian citizen you need to apply for proof of citizenship.


You cannot become a Canadian citizen if you have recently been or are in prison, on parole or probation, are serving a conditional sentence or have been charged or convicted of an indictable crime. If you are under a deportation order, you also cannot apply.


For more information please call us or write to us .

Frequently Asked Questions

What is permanent residence in Canada?

Obtaining "permanent residence" or "permanent resident status" in Canada is also known as "immigrating to Canada" or becoming a "landed immigrant." The successful end result of the Immigration process is the issuance of an “immigrant visa” or “confirmation of permanent residence document”. People to whom an immigrant visa/confirmation of permanent residence document has been issued must present themselves to an Immigration officer at one of Canada's official ports of entry in order to become landed immigrants.

Once I am a permanent resident of Canada, do I have to stay in Canada?

Within any five (5) year period, a permanent resident must be:

physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (two (2) years) in that five (5) year period


outside of Canada, accompanying a Canadian citizen, who is his or her spouse or common-law partner or a child accompanying a parent


outside of Canada, employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business


an accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident, who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business.

How can I become a permanent resident of Canada?

To be eligible to immigrate to Canada, one must meet the requirements of one of the many categories of Canadian Immigration:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Class

  • Federal Skilled Trades Class

  • Canadian Experience Class

  • Express entry

  • PNP programs.

  • Business Class

  • Family Class

and apply for Permanent Residence in Canada through a designated Case Processing Centre/Centralized Intake Office.

How can I become a citizen of Canada?

After having resided in Canada for a total of 1095 days within a consecutive five year period of time as a permanent resident of Canada, one is eligible to apply for Citizenship.

I have questions related to your assessment of my qualifications for Immigration to Canada. I wish to telephone your firm. May I do so?

We would be delighted to speak with you over the telephone and answer any questions that you might have. We can be reached, via telephone, between the hours of 09:00 and 17:00, Eastern Time, Monday to Friday at 905 673 9000.

Do you have a branch office in another country?

Please note that we do not have branch offices. We effectively represent thousands of individuals on all six (6) continents from our offices here in Toronto, Canada, through the use of e-mail, fax, telephone, mail and courier.

What benefits do I have if I am a permanent resident of Canada?

Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants and citizens enjoy all of the same rights and privileges (i.e. free health care, free elementary and secondary education, etc.) with three (3) exceptions:

  • Permanent residents cannot vote

  • Permanent residents cannot hold a Canadian passport

  • Permanent residents can be deported for certain criminal convictions


Dream of Living in Canada?

We can help you make your dream of living in Canada a reality by guiding you carefully through the process of obtaining citizenship.

bottom of page