top of page

Foreign Students in Canada

There are more than 60+ immigration ways to migrate to Canada - You may qualify in any one of these!

Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.

The number of international students in Canada is over 450,000, a figure that is constantly growing. To be eligible to apply for a Canadian study permit, a prospective student must:

Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution to apply for a study permit

Have a clean record. Applicants with a criminal background, or who pose a risk to Canadian security, may be refused. IRCC may request an applicant to supply a Police Clearance Certificate

Prove that he or she has sufficient financial support to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country

Obtain a Certificat d'acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ) if he or she wishes to study in Montreal or elsewhere in the Province of Quebec

Be in good health. IRCC may request an applicant to complete a medical examination

Satisfy the immigration officer that he or she will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit

The applicant may also be required to submit the following documents:

Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application

Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable

Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back

Any further documents required by specific visa offices

Accompanying Family Members

An applicant for a Canadian study permit may include his or her family members on the application, so that they may accompany the applicant to Canada. An accompanying spouse may be able to obtain an open work permit in Canada, and minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools.

Next Steps After Applying

If and when your Canadian student visa application is approved, you’ll receive a Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction, while students from countries that require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and/or a temporary residence visa will be issued these if required.

The eTA will be linked to your passport. It is important that you travel with the passport you used when you applied for your study permit. The eTA will be valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Present these along with your passport, proof of your finances and your letter of acceptance (and any other documents that you’ve been advised to take) to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in Canada, who will then issue your Canadian study permit and allow you access into Canada.

Working While You Study in Canada

If you’d like to get a part-time job to help support yourself while studying in Canada, you can now qualify to work on or off-campus for up to 20 hours during university semesters and full-time during breaks such as the winter or summer holidays, without the need for a work permit. You will also need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Study Permit Renewal Process

After obtaining a study permit, students may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies in Canada. After graduation, many students choose to stay in Canada to live and work. 

Study permits expire 90 days after graduation, regardless of the date printed on the study permit itself. International graduates must update their status with IRCC within 90 days of graduation, or they risk losing status in Canada. 

Many graduates are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). This permits the holder to work for any employer anywhere in Canada for up to three years after graduation. Work experience gained on a PGWP may help facilitate an application for Canadian Permanent Residency, especially through programs such as the Canadian Experience Class/ Express entry and certain Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).


For School/College/ University admission process and study permit-related inquiries contact us .


Study in Canada

Applying to study in Canada could be a very easy process if you choose to go with us.

bottom of page